Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I choose The Puget Hound?
As a family owned business, The Puget Hound is licensed, bonded, and insured with the owners having accumulated over 10 years of professional dog care experience, including knowledgable pack dynamics in multiple doggy daycares, canine/feline first aid, and CPR certifications. We know that building a relationship with your pet is paramount and take personal rapport with our clients and pets very seriously! With the unique range of services we can perform, from daycare to vacation sitting to trail hikes, you can rest assured your dog will always be with a familiar face regardless of what you pet's needs may be.
Call or email us directly -- an owner will respond directly ASAP; or feel free to schedule a no-charge initial consultation through our booking system.
What services do you provide?
The Puget Hound provides a variety of pet related services!
- Doggy Daycare: Full and half day supervised indoor and outdoor play yards for dogs of all shapes and sizes!
- Kennel Free and Privacy Suite Boarding: Thinking outside the box! Kennel free boarding is an open floor slumber party after a full day of socializing, under the 24 hour care of professional staff. Dogs who prefer their own space are treated to a privacy suite.
- Park and Trail Taxi Service: Our most popular and beneficial service available is our Bark and Ride trail hike taxi service, with ultra convenient morning pick up and afternoon drop off.
- Individual Dog Walking: Does your pet prefer one-on-one walks? We can accommodate!
- In-Home Pet sitting: The most stress-free way for your pet to relax while you're away is in the comfort of their own home and in the care of a loving human.
- Customized Pet Portraits: A perfect gift for a loved one or yourself, black and white ink portraits of your best buddy!
When are you available for service?
- Daycare and most boarding hours are 7am-6pm Monday through Friday, Saturday 8am-5pm, and appointment for pickup and drop off hours only 8am-10am and 4pm-6pm on Sunday.
- Our Bark and Ride trail hikes are available Monday through Friday between 10am and 3pm. And of course, rain or shine!
- Personalized walks are also available Monday through Friday week between 8am and 4pm. Walks after 5pm and/or on weekends based on availability, and with additional fee.
- In-home pet sitting is provided (based on availability) 7 days a week, with an additional rate for holidays.
What areas do you service?
Please refer to our service area map. If you are located outside of our current region, please feel free to contact us about our forecasted territory expansion.
What kind of discounts do you offer?
We love to give back to those who give back to animals, and happily discount 10% off of your first bill when you provide documentation showing your animal was adopted from a shelter!
We also offer 10%, 15% and 20% multi-dog family discounts to many of our services, such as daycare credit packages and boarding.
Want more ways to save? For every friend you refer to The Puget Hound who then signs up for services, you receive a $50 credit to your next invoice.
What are the requirements for joining daycare?
Your pet's safety is our number one priority. Please refer to our rules and requirements to see what we'll need to have ready to go so your dog's assimilation into their playgroup is both safe and comfortable for everyone!
How many dogs do watch in daycare?
The number of dogs we take at one time does not exceed 15 dogs per one pack supervisor. This is to ensure that each dog is given individual attention, and we can better tailor the play group experience to your dog's needs and preferences while maintaining a fun group dynamic.
Where will my dog sleep during Overnight Playcare (kennel-free boarding)?
Easiest answer- anywhere they want! We provide beds and couches in our open playroom, and your dog can make themselves comfortable wherever they see fit. If your dog is accustomed to sleeping in a kennel, we are happy to accommodate that as well. Our overnight caregiver is on staff to ensure a calm and relaxing overnight experience in person.
What is required of my dog to join the Bark and Ride trail service?
Each dog that joins the group will first be individually temperament assessed, so not only do we get to know your dog one on one, but to also ensure the safety of the group by making sure each dog is comfortable and happy. While we respect the assessments of any doggy daycare your pup has attended, we'd love to get to know them ourselves to get them into the most cohesive trail group!
Because the safety of the group is our number one priority, if a dog consistently displays behaviors creating a dangerous environment for others (such as aggression or failure of recall), we reserve the right to dismiss the dog from the Bark and Ride service. Dogs who undergo further training are more than welcome to then be reassessed and rejoin the group.
- Proof of current Rabies and DHLPPC (Distemper combo)
- A clean fecal float every 6 months
- No food or dog aggression
- All dogs must be spayed or neutered by one year of age
- Your dog must have a park appropriate collar with a quick release snap and ID tags.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to basic obedience commands; especially "Come."
When is payment due? What types of payment do you accept?
Clients are highly encouraged to set up a profile through Gingr, and simply leave an encrypted credit card on file! Clients purchase services in the form of packages, and once you have used up all of your credits, just let someone from The Puget Hound know and we'll refill your package for you. It's incredibly convenient and secure at the same time!
My pets are better left at home when I go out of town. Do you provide vacation care?
We sure do! Visit our In-Home Pet Sitter page to learn about the Puget Hound's preferred way to care for your pet while you're away for a day or night. Please note that availability for overnight visits depend on season and demand. Holiday rates do apply.
What happens if it's rainy or snowy out?
Hey, this is the Pacific Northwest - if we didn't walk in the rain we wouldn't last very long! We are out and about every work day, regardless of the weather. If inclement conditions are unsafe for travel (extreme storms or snow days) we will notify you as early as possible that your visits may be delayed or rescheduled.
What does The Puget Hound do to support local pet rescues, shelters and non-profit organizations?
We are very active in the Northwest pet world, having dedicated many years of volunteer service at PAWS in Lynnwood, and as a family donates annually to The Whatcom Humane Society, as well as WeSnip and The Northwest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center.
Is The Puget Hound a conglomerated franchise?
No way! The Puget Hound is as homemade as they come. Owners Nick and Haley started The Puget Hound and built it from the ground up because of their love for animals. We've tailored our business to cater to Pacific Northwest pet owners, as local businesses make the Bellingham area the vibrant, fun area it is! When you use The Puget Hound, you can rest assured that your money stays local and is recycled back into the community -- not sent to some clandestine corporate headquarters on the other side of the country.
This all sounds awesome. How do I set up service?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, fill out our contact form, or give us a call at (360) 224-5307. We'll set up a no-cost consultation to introduce ourselves, meet your pup(s), answer any questions you might have, and set up a schedule.